It would be great to start living a fully alkaline lifestyle today, wouldn’t it? But the main problem with radical changes or “resolutions” about our lifestyle is they are very hard to sustain, and we end up falling off the train just as quick as we tried to get in. A second thing is, our body doesn’t really like radical changes either. We are creatures of adaptation, and it is only when we understand the how’s and why’s of any specific thing we want to adopt as a routine, and when we allow ourselves time to adapt to it, that we can succeed in doing so.
An alkaline lifestyle is a lifestyle of balance in all aspects. It is based on the premise that we are meant to strive in life. That balance brings abundant benefits to each of us as a person, as well as all of us as humans, and as part of this planet.
So in order to attain an alkaline lifestyle, my invitation is not to change everything you eat or do today. It is to start developing an awareness of that balance, and start believing that your choices will ultimately be what determines your health, your happiness, and your state of balance in life. Every single thing we do, we eat, we think or we feel affects our balance in one way or another. Positively, alkalizing us, or negatively, getting us out of balance, and acidifying our system. But it is impossible to control every single thing we do, eat, think or feel, so allow yourself to be imperfect, start embracing small changes at a time and you will be surprised how they add up, and the journey gets easier and easier.
Some ideas for those changes are these highlights from a day in an alkaline lifestyle:
- Start the day with the most alkalizing feeling of them all, the feeling of gratitude. Breath in, feeding your body with alkalizing oxygen, and feel thankful for being alive. Be thankful for the things you love, and even for those challenges in life, as they make you a better person.
- Hydration: good hydration is key to alkalinity. And since you have been sleeping for some hours, your body will need water to rehydrate. Even before getting out of bed, drink a full glass of water, ideally, alkaline water. And keep drinking water throughout your day so that you maintain your body hydrated. It may take some getting used to, if you don’t normally drink plain water, but it is absolutely worth it! In fact, if you are not used to drinking water, I would really recommend you looking into a water ionizer. Alkaline water tastes great, and most people find it a lot easier to get used to.
- Breathing: I mentioned it in the first bullet, but let me touch on it again. An alkaline body is a body that has more oxygen circulating in its system. We need to breath in order to stay alive, but most of us do just the bare minimum. We live fast paced lives, and are stressed, and most of the time we breath very short. So, as part of an alkaline lifestyle, treat yourself to better breathing. Whether it is through yoga or meditation, or simple breathing exercises as you go through your day, deep breathing is one of the healthiest routines you can embrace.
- Exercise: it is no news that exercise is good for your body, but still many people don’t seem to give it all the importance it has. Exercise improves your breathing, your metabolism, your circulation and even your immune system. Do some kind of exercise, at the level you feel comfortable with, from walking to going to the gym, to playing a sport, do what makes you feel best. I want to recommend something I do every single day, and it takes less than 10 minutes: rebounding. A rebounder is a mini trampoline that you can set at home. Jumping on it everyday activates your lymphatic system, strengthens your muscles and bones, and even improves cardiovascular health. It is a lot of fun, and it really kickstarts your day with a boost of energy and good attitude.
- Juicing: juicing is the easiest and fastest way to increase your consumption of raw vegetables everyday. If you’ve never juiced before, and are hesitant about drinking a green juice, start ramping it up. Start with fruit juices, and add to them one vegetable at a time. You will be surprised how fast you will get used to the taste!! Soon you will go from one veggie to half fruits, half vegetables, to mostly or all vegetables in your juice. Again, this is not a race, do it at your own pace. Feel proud that you are consuming more veggies than you were before. Praise yourself, and allow yourself that alkalizing feeling of satisfaction and of being proud of yourself.
- Eating alkaline foods: our alkaline food chart is a good guide to help you determine which foods are acidic and which are alkaline. Figure out, according to what you are currently eating, what percentage of the food you eat is alkaline, and how much of it is acidic. Your goal should be to have 70% of your diet be alkaline. But don’t get discouraged if you are far from that, the truth is most people are. Even if you are at 99% acidic, you can always start tipping that balance. You don’t have to stop eating everything you like. There are healthier alternatives for many of the foods that you love. And once you start embracing small changes, your body will start getting used to them and craving them, making things easier for you.
- Being present: life is a mirror, whatever we put out, we get back. So be present and connect with people and things around you. Feel love for the food you are about to eat, do something good for someone today, allow the sun to kiss your skin. Feel love and respect for our planet and every creature on it. By becoming aware of your surroundings, and focusing less on every little thing you do or don’t do, you will find an easier, more enjoyable way to travel toward your goal of health and alkalinity.
You deserve to strive and be healthy, and you have the power to do it. Enjoy the journey!!