This may be the question I get asked most when it comes to what is alkalizing and what is acidifying. “How come you classify lemon as alkalizing?” And the answer is in a subtle detail, we don’t say lemon is alkaline, in fact it is acidic, we say it is alkalizing, because once consumed, it has an alkalizing effect in our body, which is what we should be really concerned about. You see, foods in their natural state may have a certain pH, but when it comes to alkalizing our body, what we want to look at is the effect they have on the pH of our cells.
Some foods are acidic in their basic state, like tomatoes, limes and lemons, but once metabolized in our body, they have an alkalizing effect. The reason for this is they have high contents of alkalizing minerals, that increase the alkalinity in our cells. Lemon has a very low sugar content, and at the same time, it is very high in alkaline minerals, and this combination is what explains the alkalising effect it has in our body. When we add lemon to water, aside from making it tastier and more refreshing, we are making it more alkaline, hence, healthier for us.
- Lemons provide alkalizing minerals: calcium, magnesium and potassium.
- Lemons are antiseptic, meaning they fight off germs, infections and bacteria. They are also rich in antioxidants, which help strengthen our immune system.
- Lemon helps with eczema, acne problems and increases your skin health. Rich in Vitamin C, it rejuvenates your skin, fights wrinkles , blackheads and fades scars.
- Lemon water helps you have proper digestion, and can be beneficial to people suffering from heartburn, bloating and other digestion problems.
- Lemon water helps alleviate pain from rheumatism, arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
- Lemon cleanses and stimulates the liver, bladder and kidneys. It destroys intestinal worms, and helps relief constipation and diarrhea.
- Lemon prevents internal hemorrhage, and is extremely useful in the control and prevention of high blood pressure.
- Hot lemon water offers relief from cold and flu symptoms, throat infections, and asthma. It also increases perspiration, which helps relief fever.
- Potassium in lemon controls high blood pressure, dizziness, and nausea. It also relaxes your mind and body and reduces mental stress, fatigue, anxiety and depression.
- Lemon helps lower cholesterol and is a good ally if you want to lose weight.